Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hamster wheels and treadmills.

"...It was a quick succession of busy nothings..."

Jane Austen was a genius; it's just a fact.  I don't think she ever wrote a word that I don't love, and if my blog has a long run, this won't be the last time I quote her.  She had an incredible way with words. 
The above line is from her novel Mansfield Park, but in the 1999 movie version it was turned into the thought "Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings" by the story's heroin, Fanny Price.

The first time I heard this line I thought, Yep, that pretty much sums it up.  Because, to be honest, sometimes that's how it feels - running, running, accomplishing little, and going nowhere fast.  It will probably be an ongoing process, but I want my life to be full of somethings, not nothings.  On my own I produce little more than days full of wasted hours and missed opportunities, but I pray that over time - and with considerable help from the Lord - I will eventually have something worthwhile in light of eternity to show for all of my busyness. 

1 comment:

Anglican Mama said...

The last line was wonderful. Loved this. Amen.